Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday, January 6, 2011 - Drive Day to Tomball, TX

Despite intentions to get up early, we ended up laying in bed for more than half an hour. Part of the reason for that was that the horses were extremely agitated for most of the night, snorting and pacing and making a general fuss, very uncharacteristic of them. Finally at about 2:15 am I got up, threw on a bathrobe, grabbed the flashlight and went out trying to find the cause. After several minutes of squinting in the direction the horses were intently looking, I finally saw the problem, a HUGE wild boar digging around in the yard about 50 yards away. It had to be 5 feet long, 3+ feet high and it’s stomach just about hit the ground. It was busy digging, so I grabbed my billy club and headed in it’s direction, making noise and yelling, banging on a picnic table as I went. It didn’t seem to notice. Finally I picked up a stone and threw it at it (from a respectful distance, of course), and it landed near enough to make it start to move off. I found another stone and threw it, this time I think I hit it because it skedaddled off into the woods. I came back and found the horses intrigued by my rescue, and quieter, but still looking off in the direction the boar went. I went to bed, happier now that the horses had settled down, but wide awake having trampled about in the cold night. Finally fell off to sleep, but the need for a few more zzz’s kept us in bed longer than we had planned, but it’s a fairly short trip today, so no worries. Finally got going, I headed back down to the park to dump while Hubby waited for me at the end of Sawgrass Road. Eventually headed north, first stop was fuel, second stop was Lowes on Katy Freeway to pick up a new door for my laundry room, which I had ordered more than a month ago in anticipation of traveling through Houston at some point, and finally arrived at our friend’s house in Tomball. Her son David met us and helped us get the horses settled in and the RV hooked up. A few hours later, our friend arrived home, and soon we were off to a meeting in her district to meet with some of her constituents, and spent a lovely evening making new friends.

No comments: