Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - Wonderful Ride Day at Pine Marten Run, Plus








Slept well and late again today, which is much needed. Several forest workers arrived to mow the lawn and clean the vault toilet, and since I had to go out and try to find a cell phone signal, I stopped and spoke to one of them about where the nearest signal is, and he gave me some instructions to go west out of the camp and look for the "top of the hill" where there might be a signal. I headed out, and sure enough, just after a mile, I found two bars worth of signal, so I pulled over, did some essential computer work, and got back to camp by noon. We then saddled up and headed out on Lyon's Loop, named after the ranger who first developed trails here. What a fabulous trail! Footing is dirt and sand and some pine needles,with only one short stretch on the back side of gravel, but even that was covered by a layer of leaves that kept the discomfort to a minimum.  There were several great areas for trotting and cantering, while most of it was single-track and winding through all kinds of deep, even eerie woods, which kept my Apollo constantly on guard for any horse-eating stumps or critters. We had one hawk kind of squawk at us unexpectedly which caused everyone to jump, but eventually everyone settled down and it was a great ride, lasting just over two hours, 6.6 miles in all. Fabulous! After getting the horses settled in, I took another quick drive to the top of the hill to check on my email, as one of our clients is inquiring as to our availability over the next few weeks, so I may have some logistics to do pretty soon. Meanwhile, got back to camp by 7:00 (which seems much earlier, but it gets dark so late here!), had dinner and a movie, per our usual schedule.

No comments: