Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday, January 11, 2010 - Osceola Forest on fire!

Woke up to the smell of wood smoke. At first we thought the wind had changed and someone's campfire was blowing smoke in our direction, but soon realized that the rangers were initiating a prescribed burn. Smoke was everywhere, and with the cold temps, it was getting stuck on an inversion layer and getting trapped. I went into town for some supplies, and when I looked toward the forest, it looked liked someone had covered it up with a gray box, it was that perfectly flat on top. Still too cold for a comfortable ride, and I wanted to make sure my cold wasn't gaining on me, so we rested for the day, watched a few DVR movies, took it easy. I did spend some time trimming my horse's hooves, as they grow like mad on him for some reason, and he got a little restless at one point and kicked out with his leg, just clipping my knee. Enough to make it swell like a grapefruit, so I spent some time during the day icing and heating it. Still hurt when we went to bed, hoping for a quick recovery so we can ride tomorrow!

Getting a little concerned about the family that left over the weekend, they left a black dog tied up on a clothesline. We've checked on his water, but he doesn't seem to have any food, so Hubby gave him some biscuits (he didn't have any idea what they were!), but ate them voraciously once he got the idea. Hate to leave him there, have no idea when the owners are coming back. Just have to wait and see!

No comments: