Saturday, January 2, 2010

Saturday, January 2, 2010 - Lee Trail Ride Part 2

Woke up to a cold, sunny morning. Decided to take a quick shopping trip before we went riding, just to let it warm up a bit. Ended up leaving the campsite on horseback about 12:30 or so. We had decided to take the dogs with us, as there were no other horse campers at all, and almost no one else in the park. Our golden lab mix is fine with the horses on the trail, they don't bother each other at all, but our Jack Russell beagle mix hasn't quite figured it out, likes to bark and fuss. Hubby's horse has no problem with him, but my horse sometimes loses patience and reacts. Had a few scary moments when Hubby cut a corner off the road, and my horse suddenly realized he wasn't in the lead anymore, and pitched a little fit about it, jumping and jiving. Fortunately we were near the arena, so I took him in again and ran him around to get him settled. The little dog, Billy, ran around with us a bit, which was a good thing to get them both used to being together, and that seemed to work. We set off on the trail again, but the cold was definitely making everybody frisky. At one point I decided to ask for a trot, which I got for about 6 paces, then he decided he wanted to canter. I tried to pull him back into a trot, and he decided he wanted to gallop, with the added excitement of him looking for low branches as well (he's quite the comedian, my horse). He was too far to one side of the trail to pull a one-rein stop, so I had to hang on until the trail widened enough for me to be able to do it. A bit more harrowing than I like, but everyone was safe in the end. Hubby's horse galloped behind as well, but he was in better control. Needless to say, we walked quietly the rest of the way home..

Forecast calling for upper teens overnight (so much for global warming), so we decided to put the horses in the trailer for warmth before we went to bed. Another exciting day in the woods!

No comments: