Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - Family Reunion Day

Well, today is the big day to meet all the first cousins we haven’t seen or heard from since 1963 and other relatives we’ve never met. Turns out I had so many mosquito bites from wearing Capri pants Friday night that I looked like I had measles or something, so we ran over to Kohl’s to grab some long pants. I wanted white jeans or cotton pants, something that wasn’t blue jeans. We managed to find a pair of light pastel green jeans that looked great, and also found another pair one size smaller in a pretty lilac/lavender color that Hubby liked, and miraculously they fit beautifully, even though it’s a smaller size than I thought I could fit into! Losing weight is a great excuse for buying new clothes, and I love it when it goes to another size smaller! We also discovered that Hubby’s shirt had some kind of coffee stain on it, so we had to buy him another one real quick as well. Anyway, fully decked out, we headed across the street to North Ponds Park where the reunion was being held. We quickly met up with our first cousins (four sisters that were my mother’s nieces), with all the physical characteristics of her side of the family (barely five feet!) Met the young man who started it all by searching for his lost family (when his grandfather died a few years back, they thought he was an only child, turns out he had two sisters, my mother and our aunt.) Anyway, there was enough food for an army, and the barbecue grill keep churning out more stuff, even through a rainstorm that chased us all indoors. It was an interesting and pleasant day, with a few stories we hadn’t heard before, and a few memories rekindled that we had forgotten. We stayed until about 5:00 before it started to break up, and stopped to get frozen custart at Abbott’s (a local delicacy) on the way back. After dropping off Hubby, I eventually went out to the cottage, since one of my goals was to play some Euchre (a card game that is best played with two teams of two, for the uninitiated) with my brothers. Hubby didn’t have any reason to sit around, and it left me open to carouse in the way only my family can. I arrived about 7:00, and after getting my Florida brother out of bed (napping), we played cards until about midnight, when the same brother turned another year older (so I gave him a card I had picked up earlier), and we had a good laugh over that. Then I headed out, finding Hubby in bed with the light on, a perfect welcome at the end of a long day!

No comments: